Setting Up Bluetooth in Windows Server 2003

This is a bit recycled from the last post but I’m reframing it so that Googlers can easily find the solution.

I’ve gotten Bluetooth to work in Windows Server 2k3. Here’s are the steps:

• Download the bt_stack_rtm.exe and extract to a temporary directory. Navigate to that directory and, within the ENU directory, copy Q323183_WXP_SP2_X86_ENU.EXE and place it in C:\. This file the XP SP2 Bluetooth Update
  • Extract the contents by doing the following: Start -> Run -> C:\Q323183_WXP_SP2_X86_ENU.EXE /x
  • Download update.inf and place it in C:\Q323183_WXP_SP2_X86_ENU\update. It basically changes the OS requirements.
  • Download btfiles.zip two files that seem to be missing from the update. Extract them to the C:\Q323183_WXP_SP2_X86_ENU directory.
  • Change directories into C:\Q323183_WXP_SP2_X86_ENU\Update and run update.exe

The ini provided works for Win2k3 R2 (R2 comes with SP1). If it doesn’t work for you, you will need to tweak the update.ini file. Double click the ini file and play with the variables NtMinorVersionToUpdate, MaxNtBuildToUpdate, MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate, MinNtServicePackVersion, MaxNtServicePackVersion, ThisServicePackVersion. Thanks to steeleprice.net for the heads up.

If this all works out for you, you should now see the Bluetooth in your Control Panel. It is listed under “Wireless Link.”

Posted in Networking, Windows
47 comments on “Setting Up Bluetooth in Windows Server 2003
  1. Kevin says:

For some reason downloading that didn’t do as intended (step 1) – i had to stop the install and go to a temp directory that it makes. The update.inf that was extracted didn’t work with the supplied one, as well.

Thanks, tho.

Kevin,
    The C:\Q323183_WXP_SP2_X86_ENU.EXE file is within the first file, bt_stack_rtm.exe. The update.ini will work for Win2k3 R2. If it doesnt work for your setup, you have to play around with the variables listed below step 5.

3. Kevin says:

Hi,

I’m running Windows Server 2003 SE w/ service pack 1. Even changing the update.inf to match the version (5.2.3790 as reported by running the ver.exe command) I was getting the error “You can only install this update on Service Pack 0″. Tweaking Min/Max/ThisMinNtServicePackVersion in update.inf didn’t get me around this error.

To get around it, I just tricked the update program – using regmon from sysinternals I saw that update.exe was quering the registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Windows\CSDVersion which returns the SP level in hex. I just made it 0×00. This got past that check. Oh, I also made sure to change that back after
    the check :)

Thanks for the help/post Chrissy.

Dang, that’s hardcore! I have a 2k3 EE w/SP1. I’ll see if I can figure it out w/o changes to the registry.

5. Jure Robic says:

Hi,
    I have successfully installed this update, but my Bluetooth dongle (in XP recognised as Generic Bluetooth Radio) is not installed because coumputer can’t find the driver.

What can I do?

6. Lolita says:

How can i know that my BT is working – update installed ok, but nothing is added in control panel and my bt device is still not recognized (it is not supposed to, because drivers need to be download from windows update)

7. Lolita says:

Update.exe installed witouth problem, but nothing appeared in control panel. Does this realy worked for you? Can you help me with it? Any ideas or sugetions?

[and btw why did you deleted my last coment, i hope it was misstake (:]

8. Peter says:

I run Windows 2000, is there any way I can get this process posted here to be applied on Windows 2000? I have had a couple of people saying it is possible to install the Microsoft Bluetooth stack on Windows 2000 but no one could to date tell me how?

Please …

9. JD says:

I would love you forever if you figured out how to do this on x64 Windows Server 2003. :)

10. Dave says:

I have Server 2003 Standard SP1, if one of you finds a way to make it work could you send me the files?

Thanks!

11. Coz says:

After looking at the registry key value, depending on the hex number, mine equaled 512 in decimal. So I just changed the MaxNtServicePackVersion value to 512 instead of 256. It saves time and you won’t have to change any registry values, but I used this on a XP sp2 computer. It should also work on W2003. Hope it helps someone.

12. Josh says:

If your getting a service pack version error try changing MaxNtServicePackVersion to 65536. I’m guessing service pack values go like this…

0 = sp0
    256 = sp1
    1024 = sp2
    65536 = sp3
    etc…

So 65536 will definitely get you through and you should only have to worry about the other service pack values or changing any registry settings.

13. Josh says:

Sorry, *shouldN’T have to worry about the other service pack values.

14. Speedo says:

Hey,

Tip: i had the same problems, i installed the WIDCOMM32 / 64 drivers for bluetooth i think its from Broadcom who seems to do all bluetooth hardware.. try it..

15. mabra says:

Hi !

Does someone has any information about a 64bit version standalone installation package for xP? IT’s just, that I use Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and would like to use bluetooth there also!

Regards,
    mabra

16. Mínimus says:

Hi!

Help!!

17. Rocky says:

i’ve made it through the installation process. n it worked but it can’t search any device…any idea?

18. Ciro says:

>This don’t works in other languages (Spanish). The bt_stack_rtm.exe is only for English versions.

To install in Italian language I’ve modify update.inf removing %LangTypeValue%.

[Version]
    LanguageType = %LangTypeValue%

[Version]
    LanguageType =

It works.

19. TimeSaver says:

Just like Lolita says: The installation went fine but still no icon in Control Panel and still device is not recognized. Any help?

20. Mike says:

I thought I’d give some of my experiences on an M200…

I installed the hotfix as prescribed on Win 2003 SP2 (I had to change the Service Pack version to 512 in the update.ini, no problems here).

After installation the Control Panel did not show up as described, so I started going through Device Manager.

I found several “Unknown Devices”, so I went through each one pointed it at the C:\Q323183_WXP_SP2_X86_ENU directory, which contains several .inf files. One of the devices was recognized as Bluetooth APCI.

Sweet.

I then installed Toshiba’s Bluetooth stack, which had originally failed to install BT drivers but now detected and installed them without a hitch. Rock!

21. MC says:

Copy the bthprops.cpl to the system directory. Then you can access the Control Panel by double clicking on that file.

22. murali says:

very nice.. after installing the updates i just have to point the actual driver folder and it works

23. Pavzaj says:

Hello, is there any way to apply this solution to different language versions of windows 2003 server?

24. Nick says:

Any luck with Windows 2003 Server x64 bit? Anyone?

25. SuperGumby says:

Well, thank you.

As well as the XP stack I had to install the Belkin BT software for the F8T003 v 2.11 device I have. During installation it did not detect the device but one option is to continue anyway, did so. DevMan still showed an ‘unknown USB device’ but rt-click and ‘update driver’, allow automatic search, loaded the drivers and Im up.

26. tony says:

My Broadcom/Trust dongle worked ok on xp with MS drivers but after following the instructions on 2003 it didnt, searching on a xp pc I found a oem7.inf which contained the name of the BT radio displayed in device manager, Im guessing it downloaded extra drivers from MS when I did the ‘search for drivers’ on xp, copying that file (and updated versions for all the BTH* files) to my 2003 server fixed it

27. Vasia says:

Whats about Windows 2000?

28. Vasia says:

I was testing this method on Windows 2000. Update installed fine but the stack does not work because some libraries from this update not compatible with this OS & many errors appears related to shell32.dll. Who want to check for itself need to apply some changes in update.inf:

LanguageType = (leave this field blank if language of your OS different from ENG)
    NtBuildToUpdate = 2195
    NtMinorVersionToUpdate = 0
    MaxNtBuildToUpdate = 2195
    MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate = 0
    MaxNtServicePackVersion = 65536

Thanks to Chrissy for this tweak, it help me with installing Bluetooth on my beta XP SP2 which was not have Bluetooth Stack at all, but anyone know if russian version of this update exist? That mentioned in BLUTOOTH.INF file (q323183_wxp_sp2_x86_rus.exe) but i could not find it anywhere. :(

29. Jim L says:

I just got BT working with my Win2K3 Server (SP2). I had to modify the update.ini to get the installer to work, but even after that I did not have the control panel applet and couldn’t connect with my MS BT mouse.

I have an Anycom USB-500 dongle, so I installed their driver package/exe, which earlier was giving me an error when I ran it (license thing), but this time it installed ok, and I got the BT icon in Control Panel and in the Systray, and was able to connect my MS BT mouse.

30. Omar says:

Excellent work

31. arthur Chieng says:

who want install bluetooth with win2k3,i got the driver patch,i can send to who want use it.

32. Mike says:

Arthur,
    I need the driver patch. Thanks.

Mike

33. Athos says:

Arthur
    i need the drivers pacth too, please send

34. Bob says:

I need this pacth If you do not mine

Thanks in advance;
    bob

35. Bob says:

Hi I hope you are having a great day;

I tried tweaking all the settings mentioned: NtMinorVersionToUpdate, MaxNtBuildToUpdate, MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate, MinNtServicePackVersion, MaxNtServicePackVersion, ThisServicePackVersion…. To no avail, If somebody is kind to tell if I am making a mistake. Well I am running; OS Name Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Enterprise Edition Version 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790

I will be in forever debt to you Thanks in advance;

Bob

36. anthony says:

i was using w2k3 (flat, not r2) and i jsut changed the 256s to 512 and :)

it is found in the registry location mentioned above. (it says it in () )

37. ami says:

Hi
    I’m using XP SERVER 2003 with SP2
    I installed everything and the update worked , but I cant see anything in control panel , tried to point from device manager to the q32318… directory but no luck 
    Any thoughts?

38. xawari says:

Your downloads are not available anymore… :(

39. blecchi says:

Can somebody re-upload the update.inf and btfiles.zip files. Links seem to be broken. Can't find them elsewhere on the net.

Best regards.

40. Vit says:

I cant download update.inf and btfiles.zip :-(

41. mmw says:

Ok, I have been looking into this one. Once you follow the above steps and get the SP1 files downloaded, download the XP SP2 and XP SP3 installers.

Once you have them installed, used something like 7zip to extract their content and look for bth.in_(inf). I used 7zip to extract all the files with *bth* in them to a separate directory then I did an update driver on the bluetooth device. Boooom!!! You have SP2 bluetooth in Server 2003. Repeat this process with XP SP3

42. Mitchell says:

Can the 2 files be put back up?
    I got the update.inf to work, just open command prompt and at the top there is the version number.
    if this is 5.2.3790 like mine is, in the top few lines of update.inf you change all the 1's to 2's and all the 2600's to 3790's. also change max service pack to 512.
    I'm restarting now, but i dont think ill get abywhere because i didnt see a .cpl file anywhere for bt. was this one of the 2 files?

43. cluster_flux says:

If we can’t get btfiles reposted, could someone at least list the files included within btfiles.zip, please?

Probably ain’t gonna happen, ’cause those who successfully performed said operation have no interest in those of us dangling out in the wind anymore.

44. santosh says:

what should be the setting of variables NtMinorVersionToUpdate, MaxNtBuildToUpdate, MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate, MinNtServicePackVersion, MaxNtServicePackVersion, ThisServicePackVersion……after edit update.inf?????

Please provide some details….i need to enable bluetooth in windows 2003 server SP2.

Please help me…..