Anapod Rocks: An alternative to iTunes

EDIT: This post is about 3 years old now and I’ve since started using Songbird. Read my review titled: “Songbird is to iTunes what FireFox is to IE”.

If you dislike iTunes as much as I do, Anapod by RedChairSoftware is the perfect alternative.

I find it extremely easy to use and the interface is aesthetically pleasing. Anapod is integrated into Explorer.. You can right click a file or folder and “Send To” Anapod.

The SpeedSync is great. I hated how iTunes would delete all the crap off my iPod w/o confirmation (and this is a default setting?) With Anapod, it syncs then it shows two panes of whats on your PC thats not on your iPod and vice versa. It then gives you an option to transfer one or the other or both.

The software is $25 but I’d pay upwards of $100 if I had to. It makes life sooo easy. And making Contacts and Notes is as easy as Right-Clicking and selecting “Make New Contact”. Or, you can Sync with Microsoft Outlook. You can also copy Data files to your PC and back with extreme ease. Just drag and drop.

Additionally, it has a built-in Web Interface so you can access your iPod from across a LAN or the Internet. It also auto converts WMA files and other formats. For more features, check out their comparison page.

Oh, and big nerds can run SQL queries on their iPod music collection :D

Posted in General
21 comments on “Anapod Rocks: An alternative to iTunes
  1. Brandon A. Cruz says:

I have a computer with itunes that needs to be wiped clean because of a virus. I have almost 7000 songs in my library and there is no way that I want to go through the process of reloading all of those CDs. If I wipe my computer clean to get rid of the virus, I believe that I will have to reload that damn itunes that will not allow me to transfer my music on the ipod back to the library. Will anapod allow me to transfer the music on my ipod back to my computer? Once I install anapod Will I even need to reinstall itunes??

Yes, Anapod will allow you to move all of your songs back to your computer and then from your computer back to your ipod. Anapod, unlike iTunes, will not delete your songs unless you specifically tell it to do so (right click, delete). You will not need to reinstall iTunes.. iTunes has not touched any of my computers for a few years now! I think that of all the software I loathe, iTunes is at the top. You may need to install the iPod Updater Software but iTunes is definintely not required, ever (it may even cause a conflict if you try it) if you use Anapod.

3. Brando says:

You don’t need any software to copy your songs back to your HD if you want ALL of them. It’s picking out specific songs or albums that you need special software for.

Here’s what you do:

Make sure Windows is set to show hidden files.
    Open up your iPod in My Computer, and go to iPod_Control, then Music, and copy all of the f* folders to your hard drive. They’re not organized, and the filenames may be scrambled up, but they’re all there, and you can then use iTunes or some other program to sort out the filenames and directory structure based on the id3 tags.

4. JIM TUNSTALL says:

I have had big problems with itunes not recognising my ipod nano. Started working fine then suddenly, with no alteration to my pc, it won’t recognise the pod. In your experience is this a problem likely to be solved with ananpod? Thanks, Jim Tunstall Harrogate UK

Jim,
    I’d assume the answer would be no.

Does Windows Explorer recognize your ipod as a drive? If not, that’s a good place to start. If it doesn’t “mount” it as a drive, you can look to see if its even reconized at all on yoru system by right clicking on My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management. See if you see a little 512MB (or whatever your ipod is) drive. If not, reinstall iPod Updater software. That has helped me in the past.

Btw, you can download an eval version of Anapod that would let you see how/if it works.

Chrissy

6. Fedor Palacios says:

Hello, I want to know if Anapod will help me with the artwork on my songs so I can downloaded from the internet just like itunes….and the the next one is if anapod work with other software like itunes art importer.
    Once I download all my music to ipod, can I erase all those music in my laptop and still download new music to my ipod without erase anything…? Itunes cant do it I think…

7. Robert Reinink says:

I must say the programm is a bummer and works for me.

The only one thing that bothers me (and if I would have know’n this up front I wouldn’t have bought Anapod) is the fact that I have 2 Ipod’s and I can only sync one Ipod with Anapod
    I tryed to install Anapod on a second PC to sync the other Ipod but it wouldn’t let me activate on a second PC.

That is to bad for a family with multiple Ipod’s on Board
    And so far no solution from Red Chair

My 2 cents

8. Sam says:

I just purchased from them. I was having an error coming up every time I tried to add songs to my iPod. I called Apple and they didn’t know what the problem was. Picked up another one and same problem. They said it was probably my laptop. Tried at home and no success, formatted the drive on my iMac, tried iTunes on my Mac and no success. I was getting really upset by then. I just went online and and looked for an alternative. This software actually made me keep my iPod. I am grateful, if it doesn work for some people I wouldn’t know why. I actually recommend it to anyone who is having problem with their iTunes or not this is a must have.

You all take care!

9. Joe Clarke says:

I put anapod on to my machinespecifically so I could copy my music back to the pc after my hard drive blew up. This part worked fine, but for some reason when I copied everything back to the iPod every title appeared 4 times. I f I delete the title all the whole trak is deleted. I would be grateful for anay ideas on this one.

10. Tori says:

Call me a dork but I do need some reassurance:

I had my first iPod for around 3 years. After being beat up and scratched up I decided to get a new ipod ((((Just got it yesterday for Christmas)))). It’s the video one now…anyways.

A few months ago, I was deleting something and I think something that my iTunes used to open was deleted. Well, it wouldn’t open. Said important files were missing and wouldn’t open. Grr…Very annoyed I told my parents. Granted, they don’t know anything about electronics.

Well….tonight, after putting it off for weeks, I took off my old iTunes (I had a friend put my music somewhere else so it wouldn’t be lost…) I took out an old cd of iTunes and re-installed it.

Pffft! What happened was what I dreaded for months: nothing. Wouldn’t pop up and couldn’t be downloaded to my computer via website.

After doing a search engine, I came across a forum and someone mentioned Anapod….

Now, my question is this. If I get my parents to fork over a credit card to get the program (a small price since so many claim this is a godsend product to own since others seemed to have the same problem as me), is it the same exact thing as iTunes.

Does have this site where I got to buy? This may sound like a trivial question, but until tonight, I’ve never heard of Anapod (wish I would’ve about 4 months ago though, woulda saved time and worrying that I was gonna lose 2,000+ songs).

11. Pratik Das says:

I paid for Anapod Explorer 8.9.9 and the installer won’t even work. I get the “Installer file expired” error. Do I know if they are reading my emails for support? Do I know when to expect a new release of the installer to fix the problem? Do I have a phone number to call? Is there a name of a human being who works for Red Chair Software I can refer to? The answer to all these questions is “No”. I think I have wasted my money.

12. Anapod user says:

While it’s nice Anapod doesn’t automatically delete files which don’t exist on PC, it is quite annoying when you WANT it to remove them. It’s annoying when you change a file name and then you end up with two identical songs, from different files.

13. rana abou nassar says:

HELPPP how do you transfer VIDEOS???

14. Touchofgrey says:

I was just wondering if this program would work with the new Ipod Touch.

15. Cheryl says:

I purchased Ananpod Explorer 9.0.3 on Nov. 12,2007 and still have been able to install it because it say, ” installer has expired”. I have sent them 8 e-mails to date and still haven’t heard back from them, but I can tell you one thing, the charged showed up on my credit card!
    Seems like I can’t get any help from them, can anyone else help me?

CW

16. Shaun says:

I had the “installer has expired” issue with Anapod explorer and it took me a long time to get a response, but finally I got an email with the link https://www.redchairstore.com/installer.php which I went to, entered the code given by the expired installer, logged intot their site and was able to download the latest version.

It is now installed – if only I could get it to recognise my ipod touch. Guess I’ll have to wait for another email (after a long wait no doubt).

17. rkanak says:

I too, was wondering if it would work with the iPod Touch? I emailed the company but have yet to hear back from them.

hey rkankak,
    i actually dont even use anapod anymore. they dont seem like a responsive company. my friend recommended yamipod and ive been using that.

19. Dave Page says:

Hey Chrissy — as your last comment (and many other poster’s comments) roundly condemn Anapod’s problem and their lake of customer support, don’t you think you should delete this thread or at the very least puts these comments at the head rather than leave this tribute to a bad company live?

I’m glad you’re not MY IT consultant…

Dave

Dave,
    I’m glad I’m not your IT consultant, either. You’re kind of a dick!

Regards,
    Chrissy

21. Jim Fair says:

Chrissy,

I am sure this is simple, but I do not know how to do it.

My PC HDD crashed. I replaced it and rebuilt the system. Everything seems to work fine. Now the problem.

I wish to transfer all of my music from my IPOD back to an empty newly installed ITUNES. I have Anapod, but am confused as to how to do it.

Please make the answer as simple as possible with as few options as possible.

Thanks,