MSTSC: Microsoft Terminal Services Client 6.0 Now Available for Download

Windows XP and 2003 (SP1) users can now download the RDP client that comes with Vista @ microsoft.com. If you don’t like it and need to go back to the original version, you can possibly uninstall it or reinstall RDP 5.2.

The new version supports widescreen/huge resolutions as well as auto-logins. There are a few other features that appear will be cool when Longhorn comes out but till then.. I have no idea what they’ll do ;)

Posted in General
17 comments on “MSTSC: Microsoft Terminal Services Client 6.0 Now Available for Download
  1. Endre says:

Thanks. Unfortunately, it’s not avaliable for the norwegian version of windows XP, but I managed running it by copying files from a server 2003 installation.

2. shankar says:

mstsc is to much good for remote connection

3. Laura says:

I tried re-installing 5.2, because I need to get rid of 6; just running the install for 5.2 doesn’t overwrite v6. Bummer. Typical MS – give you a shiny new toy with lots of bugs, and then don’t tell you how to get rid of it if you need to…

4. Laura says:

Never mind, I’m an idiot. It’s right there in Add/Remove Programs – I somehow missed it the first time I looked…

5. botswana bill says:

unfortunately not good with the botswanian version of windows or the upper-malango-pango version still if I run it under the scottish version its great

6. Biggest plus? The ability to login into the console of a 2003 server from the GUI.

7. Hey, I’m stoked that you picked up my favicon.ico from my website.

Hey sage,
    You can also do that with the XP/2003 MSTSC. Just use mstsc /console or mstsc -console

Cute favicon btw ;)

Chrissy

9. Clifford says:

Hi Chrissy,
    Yes, /console works on the command line. But I’ve never gotten it to work inside an .rdp file.

I’ll have to check out your cajun recipes website.

I don’t know how long you’ve been in The City, but welcome to the Bay Area.

Oh sweet, I didn’t know you could save it. I’ll have to check that out.

Thanks for the welcome! I’ve lived here for over a year now and I’m really starting to love it. I’m assuming you’re in the area as well. What part?

11. Clifford says:

I hail from the North, Sonoma I call home. Grew up in Glen Ellen just as the area began the slow loss of its ruaral nature.

12. jafxi says:

If you create a *.bat file with the command “mstsc [RDP file name] /console” it works just as well as having a RDP file that connects directly to the console, but I don’t think there is a way to specify a console connection in the RDP itself.

13. bitmap says:

RDP console:
    Add a line to the .rdp file that says “connect to console:i:1” (no quotes)

Also for those that do not want WinXP SP2 mucking up their systems, but still want to use the new MSTSC client…

Installing MSTSC 6.0 (Remote Desktop) on Windows XP SP1

Since it is not officially supported, and the installer croaks under SP1,
    I had to hack my way around it a bit, and discovered that the programmers
    actually did code the program, and even their installer to work under SP1
    maybe even with no SP, but the installer’s package manager itself was doing
    the check for SP2 before the actuall program installer gets run…

I PROVIDE NO WARRANTY THAT THIS WILL NOT BREAK YOUR ENTIRE SYSTEM, EAT ALL YOUR POTATO CHIPS, OR DRINK YOUR BEER.

1. make a backup copy of mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll from your windows\system32
    put them somewhere safe (you can still run them separately after the 6.0 install)

2. delete mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll from your windows\system32 and windows\system32\dllcache.
    both files must be deleted from both locations very quickly, or the Windows File Protection
    will notice, and copy them back again.
    You will get an warning window about unrecognized files, just click Cancel.

3. run the MSTSC6 installer for XP (downloaded from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925876)
    Watch closely to see where it is unpacking the files, usually the root
    of some drive, with a really long directory name like 04d6787f2a5930bc357d631f3a.
    When you get the error message about your SP level, DO NOT close the window!

4. Find the directory where it unpacked everything (EX: C:4d6787f2a5930bc357d631f3a)
    If you can’t find it, search all local drives for LHMSTSC.exe

5. Copy the directory SP2GDR to somewhere safe, like \temp.

6. Close the error message window. The really long-named directory will be deleted.

7. copy the single file from SP2GDR\ip to SP2GDR\

8. using Windows Explorer, from SP2GDR, right click on lhtsc.inf and select Install.

TA DA!

14. Titus says:

it cutely works on command prompt
    > mstsc
    Give the machine ip address and login

15. Thanks… this article is just what i been looking for.

Big thanks

NC Tech Support Team
    -Brian Nailer

16. Thanks a lot…..works fine on Vista……you r the best….
    gracias por este software que necesitaba!!!!