Office 2007's Impossibly Slow Install

The day that Office 2007 came out, I logged in to MSDN and downloaded the ISO. A good seven hours later, I was still attempting to install the suite of apps. I run Windows Server 2003 on my laptop and wondered if that was a problem but the system requirements listing said that Office 2007 was compatible with Win2k3. My install, however, would just sit there for hours, locking up my mouse and all my programs. Even my clock would stop for hours at a time. I tried Window XP compatibility on the setup.exe but it didn’t help at all.

Last night I needed to install Access for a proof-of-concept I was working on and I didn’t want to install Office 2003. I tried an Office 2007 install again and ran into the same problems. I then performed a defrag & Windows Update and that didn’t help either. The setup ran quickly up until it began the actual install (after asking questions about the install).

I realized that before the install could do anything, it had to remove Office 2003, as that was one of the options I selected. I canceled out of the installer and double-clicked setup.exe again. This time around, I told it to not remove any Office 2003 components. That worked perfectly and the entire installation process took about five minutes or less. Now, after two months of my initial download, I’m finally up and running Office 2007!

Chrissy is a PowerShell MVP who has worked in IT for nearly 20 years, and currently serves as a Sr. Database Engineer in Belgium. Always an avid scripter, she attended the Monad session at Microsoft’s Professional Developers Conference in Los Angeles back in 2005 and has worked and played with PowerShell ever since. Chrissy is currently pursuing an MS in Systems Engineering at Regis University and helps maintain in her spare time. She holds a number of certifications, including those relating to SQL Server, SuSE Linux, SharePoint and network security. She recently became co-lead of the SQL PASS PowerShell Virtual Chapter. You can follow her on Twitter at @cl.

Posted in General
2 comments on “Office 2007's Impossibly Slow Install
  1. I feel your pain says:

    I have a Dell desk w/ Pentium 4 & 1 GB of Phs Mem + a good 20GB of free HD space and the little green bar is doing the turtle trot

    I’m on the 2nd try… I’ll let U know
    Good luck!

  2. Me Too says:

    I wish I could have read this article boefore starting. I have been waiting for almost 5 hours! Argh….. I may stop the upgrade and do a seperate install.

    Thansk for rthe post.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *