I don’t know what on Earth AOL developers do in their AIM 6.x setup but they sure manage to mess things up in Vista. Once AIM is installed, my network detection no longer works and it gives an error that reads: “No network – server execution failed.” The problem seems to be some kind of COM error and the fix which has worked for me twice is adding localservice to the Administrator group (Net localgroup Administrators localservice /add).

Today, when attempting to install SQL Server 2005 Express, I kept coming across the following error

The SQL Server System Configuration Checker cannot be executed due to WMI configuration on the machine [computername] Error:2147500034 (0x80004002)

After tons of reboots and WMI resets that didn’t work, I found the solution on Chuck Boyer’s blog. It was eerily close to the AOL fix: net localgroup Administrators “Network Service” /add.

My SQL install then worked properly right away. I was extremely relieved to find that fix because my experience with faulty SQL Server 2005 installs in the past have not been resolvable AND the reason I was reinstalling SQL and AIM is because I had to format my Vista laptop after a beta Citrix VPN client for Vista completely killed my ability to VPN to any network using any protocol. While I was uninstalling the client, I blue screened and when I came back and tried to establish a VPN connection using Vista’s built in client, I was unable to register my computer on the network. It errored out with: “Error 720: No PPP control protocols configured.” After a few hours of trying to fix it, I decided to just wipe Vista and start over. It felt kind of good actually. My computer, especially Firefox, runs a lot smoother now that I don’t have so many extensions going. Ultimately, though, I was a bit tired and just wanted all of my installs to go well.

Anyway, it took a long time for me to find the solution on Chuck’s blog so hopefully this post will help him get some positive PankRanking.

Edit: Already I see a few people have found my site while looking for a solution. Did the above work for you, too?

Posted in SQL Server
19 comments on “FIX: SQL Server System Configuration Checker cannot be executed due to WMI configuration (Error:2147500034)
  1. Okay, this is weird. I have BOTH the problems you described! My wife (who works for AOL – I know, I know) installed AIM on my laptop, and it hosed my network discovery in the exact same way. Plus, I’ve been unable to remove SQL Server 2005 from my machine.

The fix definitely worked for SQL Server. I’ll let you know after a reboot if the network auto-detect window works again.

2. Marlin says:

hmm.. Chuck’s website is non-functional. I am still stuck, but at least I know there is a possible solution :)

If you still know the answer could you email, or post the solution here. Not sure what is going on with that other blog.

3. Luke says:

Wow! this fixed it for me. I am trying to uninstall SQL 2005 Express and this did the trick. I must have installed AIM after I installed AIM. Thanks!

4. Brad says:

I had what I thought was the same problem as you, but it was apparently slightly different. For those who made it here looking for the same thing, I found the fix that worked for me here:

There were various WMI errors all over the place from different things, but the one that seemed to matter was:
    Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL Server 2005 servers with SQL Server Configuration Manager.
    Invalid class [0x80041010]

The post above fixed this and off I went!

Have a good one!
    Brad

5. Richard Thomas says:

Thank you very much for this! After pulling my hair out with WMI resets, etc., this finally allowed me to install SQL 2005 Express.

6. Doneel says:

Thanks for this!
    WMI reset did not work.

Have SQL Server Management Studio installed, trying to install SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio.

7. shruti says:

sql server system configuration checker cannot be executed due to wmi configuration on the machine.error: 2147749896(0x80041008).

error:2147749896(0x80041008)

8. Rakesh says:

The SQL Server Configuration Checker cannot be executed due to WMI configuration on the machine CLUSTERONE Error: 2147746132 (0x80040154)

Hi all I am getting the above error.

9. sean says:

Oddly enough, I’m having the issue trying to uninstall SQL Server 2005 and all of its components. I tried this fix with no such luck on resolving the issue, tough I’m going to file it away for any issues that crop up with installing AIM + SQL.

10. Praveen Rajendra says:

Save the below code as fixwmi.cmd and run it. it shud fix the prob:
    Note : Will take lots of time. Keep it running until u see :END on cmd screen

if /I (%1) == (wbemtest.exe) goto SkipSrv
    if /I (%1) == (mofcomp.exe) goto SkipSrv
    %1 /RegServer

:SkipSrv
    goto End

:TryInstall
    if not exist wmicore.exe goto End
    wmicore /s
    net start winmgmt
    :End

11. Muhammad Saad says:

Thanks Praveen Rajendra i have fix this error

12. FrRED says:

Thanks Praveen Rajendra.

13. Kappa says:

Thanks! This finally solved my problem.

14. andrew says:

it works perfectly for me thank you but I personally think having network service as a member of the Admin group is not a very good idea

15. Andrea says:

“net localgroup Administrators “Network Service” /add”

It worked.
    I had to unistall SQL 2005, and I couldn’t because of that error.
    Now i had unistalled SQL 2005.
    Thank’s a lot!!!

Andrea from Italy

16. joe says:

Worked GREAT!!!! Thank you so much!!

17. Lucas says:

Finnally i could install the sql 2005..

very very ty Praveen Rajendra

i tried lots of things!!

18. Shane says:

“net localgroup Administrators “Network Service” /add”

It worked.

Worked like a charm uninstalling SQL 2005 Standard.
    Thks.

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "FIX: SQL Server System Configuration Checker cannot be executed due to WMI configuration (Error:2147500034)"
  1. […] » FIX: SQL Server System Configuration Checker cannot be executed due to WMI configuration (Error:2… […]