Easily Install Mac OS X Leopard on an MBR Formatted Disk

Ugh, eff a GUID formatted disk! This is by far the easiest way to get OS X Leopard (Retail/Vanilla) to install on an MBR formatted disk. I’ve gone through about 400 other tutorials and most were so complex. This method, which consists of about 20 simple steps has worked like a charm so far. I suggest reading the tutorial, but it’s pretty much as easy as this:

Create a temp 6 gig partition. Then, in a Terminal window, run:

• cd
  • rm -Rf temp
  • mount
  • cd /
  • umount /Volumes/TempPart
  • mount -t hfs /dev/diskXsX /System/Installation/Packages

Getting Windows 7 and OSX Leopard to dual-boot on a Hackintosh/Hackbook has not been easy. I’ll be posting how I did it once I’ve successfully booted into both.

Chrissy is a Cloud and Datacenter Management & Data Platform MVP who has worked in IT for over 20 years. She is the creator of the popular SQL PowerShell module dbatools, and holds a number of certifications, including those relating to SQL Server, Linux, SharePoint and network security. You can follow her on Twitter at @cl.

Posted in OS X & iPhone
6 comments on “Easily Install Mac OS X Leopard on an MBR Formatted Disk
  1. کیر says:

Thanx very Much
    کیرم تو کست

2. Claudiu says:

◦mount -t hfs /dev/diskXsX /System/Installation/Packages

error not found

Claudiu:
    You aren't supposed to use it literally. It's likely disk0s3 but read the linked article to see exactly which one you'll be using.

4. Zuff says:

Hi,

I see that you can directly "edit" the mpkg file, which is very impressive and cut down a lot of headache, however is it possible to edit the path it point to read the data?
    like in http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtop
    I trying to get it work in Snow Leopard, will update if i get it done.

Thanks !

5. Zuff says:

Hi
    I cant get this method to work on a SL.
    Any suggestion?
    I read need to change /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/
    but not sure how to go abt doing it

6. Tim says:

Hi

I would also like it very much, if you could make this work on a Snow Leopard retail DVD.

Tim

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Easily Install Mac OS X Leopard on an MBR Formatted Disk"