SharePoint 2010: Malformed Configuration Database Name after Update Causes Exception

Recently, I updated my SharePoint 2010 RTM farm to SharePoint 2010 SP1. I followed the steps touched on here on my WFE. I had a good hour before the June Cumulative rollup would be finished downloading so I figured I’d run the Configuration Wizard on my WFE then go and upgrade my index server.

I was soon presented with the screen that lists the configuration server and database names. I had a feeling things wouldn’t go well when I saw the following:

Configuration Database Server    “172.20.1.10 ”
Configuration Database Name    SharePoint_Config

Yep, the server name includes 3 extra characters: two quotes and one space. That, of course, isn’t a resolvable hostname and I soon encountered the error:

Failed to initiate the upgrade sequence.

An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown. Additional exception information: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 – Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Total number of configuration settings run: 2

Ugh. I figured, perhaps, I could fix this using PowerShell, but quickly skimming the available commands, I didn’t see anything that may be useful aside from New-SPConfigurationDatabase. That didn’t work, of course, because the server was already associated with a Config Database. So then I poked around with psconfig and running psconfig -cmd configdb -connect -server 172.20.1.10 -database SharePoint_Config -passphrase mypp didn’t work because I was already connected to a farm.

I finally gave in and disconnected my server from the farm using psconfig -cmd configdb disconnect then I ran the Configuration Wizard again and set myself back up. To finish up the upgrade, I executed psconfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait.

My farm worked well until I applied the June Cumulative Rollup, after which I had to just start from scratch. I’m unsure if the FAIL is related.

Chrissy is a PowerShell MVP who has worked in IT for nearly 20 years, and currently serves as a Sr. Database Engineer in Belgium. Always an avid scripter, she attended the Monad session at Microsoft’s Professional Developers Conference in Los Angeles back in 2005 and has worked and played with PowerShell ever since. Chrissy is currently pursuing an MS in Systems Engineering at Regis University and helps maintain RealCajunRecipes.com in her spare time. She holds a number of certifications, including those relating to SQL Server, SuSE Linux, SharePoint and network security. She recently became co-lead of the SQL PASS PowerShell Virtual Chapter. You can follow her on Twitter at @cl.

Posted in SharePoint
4 comments on “SharePoint 2010: Malformed Configuration Database Name after Update Causes Exception
  1. Usman says:

    Hi Chrissy,

    Thanks very much! I had same problem SQLClient exception and i could not figure out how to solve it. By disconnecting Config DB from farm it is resolved thanks

  2. Julio says:

    this work for me also. thanks for shareing .

  3. Robin says:

    Here is another way out.
    The registry contains the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftShared ToolsWeb Server Extensions14.0SecureConfigDB

    Guess what, that value is used. Change that and run the Configuration Wizard again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*