SharePoint 2010: Configuration Wizard Shows Missing Patches

I’m unsure if this is related to my earlier issue, but today, after installing the SharePoint 2010 June Cumulative Update (KB2536599), I encountered an error while running the Configuration Wizard. It kept telling me that various portions of KB2536599 were missing from a particular server. I verified that they were, in fact, installed by checking them out in Add/Remove programs, then I tried rebooting. No Go.

I researched The Google and found this poor chap encountered the same error then wiped out his entire farm. Deity, I hope I don’t have to do that. His situation is one of the reasons I’m _really_ apprehensive about using the -force switch in psconfig. Anyway, disconnecting the affected server using psconfig -cmd configdb disconnect and reconnecting it via Configuration Wizard seems to have worked for me so far.

That’s twice in one day that I’ve had to use that “solution.” I don’t know about this… let’s just say I’d be really sick to my stomach right now if this weren’t just the lab.

Update: Yeahhhh, that didn’t work very well. It appears as though I could have solved it with extensive research but I ended up keeping the SharePoint servers as is and creating a fresh farm in the db server.

Chrissy is a PowerShell MVP who has worked in IT for nearly 20 years, and currently serves as a Sr. Database Engineer in Belgium. Always an avid scripter, she attended the Monad session at Microsoft’s Professional Developers Conference in Los Angeles back in 2005 and has worked and played with PowerShell ever since. Chrissy is currently pursuing an MS in Systems Engineering at Regis University and helps maintain in her spare time. She holds a number of certifications, including those relating to SQL Server, SuSE Linux, SharePoint and network security. She recently became co-lead of the SQL PASS PowerShell Virtual Chapter. You can follow her on Twitter at @cl.

Posted in SharePoint

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *