If you find that “Upload Multiple Files…” is greyed out or otherwise unavailable in SharePoint 2010 and you:
- Are running 32-bit version of Internet Explorer
- Don’t have a copy of Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010 available
- Have added your SharePoint site to the Trusted or Intranet Security zone in IE
You can still enable this functionality by installing SharePoint Designer 2007. It’s a whopping 200+MB file, but it’s the only thing I’ve found that supplies and registers STSUPLD.DLL, the DLL required for ActiveX “STSupld.UploadCtl” generally provided by the pricey Office 2007+ Professional.
Thing’s that didn’t work?
– Installing Access 2010 Runtime+SP1
– Installing SharePoint Designer 2010+SP1
– A reinstall of SharePoint Designer 2010
– Installing Visual Studio for SharePoint something Runtime
– Installing Word Viewer
This file uploader is a nice clean interface primarily suitable for end-users. It has its limitations, however, such as only being able to upload 100 files at a time. If you need more flexibility, you can mount the SharePoint site using Windows Explorer. Check out this post for detailed instructions on how to mount an SSL encrypted site.