Setup an SSTP SSL VPN in Windows Server 2012 R2

So here’s what’s awesome about Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol SSL VPNs: they give your connecting client an IP and make it a full-on part of the network. And this is all done over port 443, a commonly used port which is often enabled on firewalls. SSTP SSL VPNs are not like some fake “SSL VPNs” that just give users a webpage and some sort of RDP.

It’s also relatively easy setup. While there are a lot of tutorials that show how to setup SSTP SSL VPNs using AD CA generated certificates, I strongly suggest you forego that, and just use a globally recognized certificate. This prevents outside users from having to install your CA’s root cert. It also prevents them from having to make a registry change if your CRL is not published and available online. All around, a $5.99 cert that can be obtained in 12 steps is well-worth the time and money invested.

This tutorial will cover how to easily setup an SSTP SSL VPN in Windows 2012 R2 using a legit cert. If you want to use your own domain’s cert, there are other websites that provide step-by-steps. advancedhomeserver.com is my preferred tutorial.

Overall, there are four major steps to this:

1. Install the appropriate certificate
  2. Setup Routing and Remote Access
  3. Configure NPS (Optional)
  4. Setup your client.

Install the SSL Certificate

Step 1

First, follow my tutorial for getting a legit $5.99 cert, down to creating the .pfx file.

Step 2

rootstore

Install and configure the RRAS role

Step 1

Add the Remote Access role. Server Manager -> Manage -> Add Roles and Features -> Remote Access.

1a

Step 2

Click Next a couple times, then just click DirectAccess and VPN. DirectAccess seems cool, but it’s only intended for mobile domain-joined computers, which I’m not looking to support.

Step 3

Next a couple times. It will force you to install IIS, which is odd, because RRAS can work independently of IIS (you can even stop and disable IIS and RRAS will still work). I would think just the IIS Hostable Web Core would be enough, but whatever. It’s required. Go ahead and accept that it will be installed.

Step 4

Once the Role has been installed, click the flag thing at the top, and then Open the Getting Started Wizard.

Step 5

Select Deploy VPN Only.

Step 6

Once the new window pops up, right click your server name (mine is VPN (local)) then Configure and Enable Routing and Remote Access.

Step 7

We’re trying to keep our surface area as small as possible, so click on Custom Configuration.

Step 8

Next, only check VPN Access.

Step 9

The RRAS Sericve will configure itself, and start the service. You will then be returned to the RRAS config window. Right click your server name, then Properties.

Step 10

Check that your SSL Certificate binding is the newly installed certificate.

Step 11

Next, click on IPv4. Here, you can either do a DHCP forwarding or just give RRAS a few IP addresses to hand out. Click Apply then Okay. You’ll be returned again to the RRAS window.

At this point, your RRAS server is setup! But I recommend a few more steps.

If you don’t want to add any additional security (IP restrictions, Group Access to VPN), then you can skip the next section and jump to setting up the client. I find it super interesting, though. I’d give it at least a glance.

Setup Network Policy Server (Optional)

Step 1

Once you’ve returned to the RRAS window, *left-click* Remote Access Logging and Policies. Then right-click and Launch NPS.

Step 2

A new Network Policy Server window will pop-up. Here, we can set which users can access the VPN, set the type of authentication encryption, and restrict network access.

Step 3

We’ll start by creating a new Network Policy. Right click Network Policy and click New.

Step 4

Name your Policy, and select Remote Access Server (VPN/Dial-up).

Step 5

Leave this window for a moment, go into AD, create a Group and name it VPN Access or whatever you wish, and add some users. Come back, and add that Windows Group by clicking Add -> Windows Group.

15a

Step 6

Confirm and click Next

Step 7

Grant this group access.

Step 8

Here, you can choose your Authentication Encryption. I disabled all the weaker ones, and only enabled the stronger Microsoft: Secured Password (EAP-MSCHAP v2).

Step 9

Here you can set some restrictions if you like. Click Next.

Step 10

Click on IP Filter.

Step 11

Specify a Filter. I set mine to only allow access to my lab’s subnet.

Step 12

Click OK, next, and you’re done setting up NPS!

There’s more, but I’ll likely cover that later. You can also configure the Network Policy Server which can lock down your network so that only clients with Firewalls enabled and AVs installed will be allowed to connect.

Setup a Client to Connect

Step 1

Log into a Windows machine. SSTP was introduced in Windows Vista, so the OS must be Vista or Greater (or Server 2008 and greater). Go to Network and Sharing Center. Click Setup New Connection or Network.

Step 2

Click Connect to a workplace.

client1

Step 3

Click Use Internet Connection (VPN).

client2

Step 4

Fill in your info, and click Don’t connect now; just setup so I can connect later.

client3

Step 5

Enter your user information. Don’t forget that if you didn’t setup a Group to access the VPN using NAP, you’ll need to enable Dial-In access within Active Directory Users and Computers for that user.

client4

Step 6

We still need to configure a couple more things. Click on your connection -> Properties.

client5

Step 7

Click the Security Tab -> Change type of VPN to SSTP. By default, it detects the type of VPN automatically, but slightly slows down the process.

Also change your authentication as seen below. That’s all you need. Note that, by default, Windows VPNS will use the remote gateway. If you want to modify that, go to Properties -> Networking -> IPv4 -> Advanced -> Uncheck Use Default Gateway on Remote Network.

client6

Step 8

Right-click -> Connect.

client7

Step 9

Awesome. Poke around ipconfig if you’re interested in seeing your assigned IP, gateway and DNS servers.

client8

Some final notes

Don’t forget that you have to expose your VPN’s port 443 at the router. To ensure that things are working, you can also try hitting your VPN server via a browser at https://yourvpn.server.ext. It should return a 404.

Enjoy!

Posted in Security, Windows
42 comments on “Setup an SSTP SSL VPN in Windows Server 2012 R2
  1. Cory Silva says:

This is a great write up, thank you for taking the time!

2. Jeff Viola says:

Great instructions!!! Very easy to follow and I was successful at setting up SSTP connections with a Network Policy! Thank you. I was wondering if you have an article or know how to connect using IKEv2?

3. David Han says:

The most easiest follow up (& comprehensive) article re setup sstp on the net, well done

4. jan straatman says:

Great article!

Could I use this type of VPN also on a Windows server 2012 R2, that is in a workgroup instead of a domain? This server is used as a terminal server, and I want to give some users access to an appliciation on this server, from outside the company.

5. Marco Lucido says:

I am using adfs with a proxy exposed to the internet. The proxy has WAP installed. Would I make the proxy the server that is the VPN access point? It has a static external address (172.x.x.x) and an internal address.

Thanks.

6. AlexA says:

Can you setup an IKEv2 VPN in Windows Server 2012 R2.
    I am trying to connect my windows phone 8.1 VPN using IKEv2 (user name+password).
    I get an connection error: Verify that your network has the necessary ports open. Error code 809.
    I need help on PowerShell commands for IKEv2 inbound ports UDP Port Number=500, UDP Port Number=4500 and UDP Port Number=1701

7. Drake says:

is it possible to set up a VPN sstp WITHOUT a domain i mean i have a window server 2012 domain but i dont have the user/computer in the Activity directory cause he is running window 10 home edition and i dont want to upgrade to pro and add him to the domain so is their a way to set a up network poiley that let anyone connect to the vpn sstp or can i download a certicate to his computer etc ?? please reply back ASAP thank you have a great day

8. Robert says:

This is an exemplary write-up. It worked exactly as you described on Server 2012 R2. Thank you, Ms. LeMaire.

9. Amanda saft says:

Thank you for this. Very well explained.

10. David Cobb says:

Extraordinarily helpful, thank you.

11. Chris Johnson says:

great piece of information. The same tutorial on setup a SSTP VPN i read from PureVPN

12. PacMAn says:

and is there Client Certificate?

13. Miss says:

Thank you !!

14. Douglas Cohn says:

Ho w do you get the Certificates MMC windows without Local Root?

Just with Certificates at the top?

certlm -> Personal -> Certificates ->

15. Douglas Cohn says:

Never mind. Sorry. I misread what you wrote very clearly. CERTLM. I was trying CERTLIM in error.

BEAUTIFULLY written article. Works like a charm. Thank you so much

16. Kevin Lang says:

Nice article. Thanks for writing it. One quick question – it is possible to complete this setup, without steps 1 and 2? Just to test before purchasing the cert? Thanks.

17. Edwin says:

Bought an SSL certificate this week and yesterday installed VPN on my server. Today I tried to connect from work and it works flawlessly.

18. Robert M says:

Hi Thanks for this great tutorial. I have my server up and accepting connections. It works great when I am just using User groups as a condition in the NPS policy. If I add a Machine Group to the policy the connection fails.

A google search revealed others with same issue, but no solution. Any ideas?

Thanks!

19. Jessie Pinkman says:

Chrissy, these kind of “instructions” completely dismiss THE LEAST BASIC security.
    IF you create a _custom_ configuration and your RRAS server is not behind any firewall, you will be publishing your whole VPN server to internet meaning anybody from anywhere can for example RDP to your RRAS server just by guessing username and password.

• Chrissy LeMaire says:

I won’t waste telling visitors how to turn on a computer, and similarly, I won’t cover shit like “don’t expose your ports needlessly” and “put your server behind a fucking firewall.”

If you have further instructions for me to post because I missed something, please just say the shit and I’ll add it.

20. randomadmin says:

“In addition, IIS is not necessary. You can actually stop it, disable the service, and you will still be able to connect to your VPN.”

Very odd that there’s so few sites that mention this. I guess there’s a lot of admins that just go with whatever is installed. I set up VPN on Windows server for my company and noticed due to the mandatory install of IIS that there’s actually a full webserver being deployed. There’s even a live default webpage running after finishing the Routing and remote access wizard. I disabled the IIS server since I don’t want unnecessary crap running in my network and I did some testing if the VPN functionality was still up (which was the case) but I was still a bit worried if my VPN users weren’t experiencing issues because of IIS being disabled. Luckily this page gave me confirmation so thanks for that!

21. Just used this, you are fantastic!

22. newbie says:

Excellent article.

step 2: is this done on the server are the client computer?

“Import your PFX to the local machine’s Certificate store. To do this, certlm -> Personal -> Certificates -> Right-click, All Tasks -> Import -> Next -> Select your Cert -> Enter your password -> Next -> Finish.”

23. z0ner says:

Ridiculously awesome step-by-step instructions. Thanks!

I’m trying to find info on the “Use HTTP” checkbox on step 10. Does anyone know what it does?

• Chrissy LeMaire says:

Hey z0ner, Microsoft says it’s for reverse proxies — ‘With this UI, we also support configuration for SSTP in reverse proxy scenario. This can be done by having the check box “Use Http” checked. This configures SSTP to receive the plain HTTP packet as SSL is offloaded to proxy. In this case, user needs to manually configure the Certificate Hash in the registry manually, as done in Windows Server 2008’

24. r2690698 says:

Hi,

Looks good, i’m using OpenVPN just now, and it’s horrible think i would prefer to your RRAS. however we build our infrastructure in AWS using auto scaling we need a fully scripted setup, do you have any examples say in powershell for this config ?

• Chrissy LeMaire says:

Ha, great question! Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to create one. If you end up doing it, let me know and I’ll shout it out from the roof tops. That’d be awesome!

25. Dave says:

I keep getting a certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider.

I followed the steps to certutil and imported PFX to Personal Certificates… I read somewhere else it suggested to import CERT not PFX to Trusted Root Certification did that and still get same error. Any help would be appreciated.

26. Charles says:

How can I set a fixed IP address for the client, since there is no Physical Address?!

27. david says:

de cn-naam van het certifcaat komt niet overeen met de doorgeveen waarde

28. Mario says:

Thank you, created/modified/tested/secured/production.
    It works as expected.

29. Fried says:

It works perfectly without getting any issue. Each step on this post is perfectly worked for me. Thanks for sharing.

30. Rudy Scott says:

If you also have installed installed Remote Web Access and the Windows Essentials Experience role, you may find that the Wse wizard has already created a NPS policy for the VPN with a GUID for the name. Be sure to edit this policy or move your policy to a higher priority. It took me a bit to figure out why I couldn’t get EAP-MSChapv2 authentication to work until I found that my user was having this other (Wse generated) NPS policy applied to their connection instead of the one I thought was being applied.