Working with Basic .NET DataSets and DataTables in PowerShell

This is mostly for my reference, but you can use it, too :)

Create Basic Datatable

dt

Create Basic DataSet (Collection of Tables)

dt

Selecting

Create Datatable from CSV

Using this method, you can add 140k rows a second.

Managing Duplicates

Create new table using another datatable’s schema

Filling DataTables and DataSets with data from SQL Server

Posted in PowerShell, SQL Server
10 comments on “Working with Basic .NET DataSets and DataTables in PowerShell
  1. Colin says:

Of all the googled PS DataSet explanations, this one is far and away the best.

Thanks Chrissy.

2. SB says:

Colin; seconded.

3. robduncan says:

Great article – would love to see examples of loading xml files into datatables

4. Karl says:

Would like to see a follow-up to:
    Filling DataTables and DataSets with data from SQL Server then update
    the database from which the data was fetched from.

5. Keng Onn says:

Hi, Thanks for sharing your expertise, Chrissy, really appreciate it! :) Just one question though, how do you cater for nulls in the source data? I was using the code from your post at https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Import-Large-CSVs-into-SQL-216223d9 for bulk insert, but got stuck when I tried to insert data like this “abc,d,,f,,e” where I expect to see the second last column of that table to be null instead of an empty string. I tried using [DBNull]::Value but that didn’t work :(. Would appreciate hearing whatever insight you have on this. Thanks! Cheers, Keng Onn.

6. Brain Zender says:

Yep. I agree with the comments above — this is a clean, clear explanation. Laissez les bons temps rouler, cher!

7. J Spivey says:

Thank you for this excellent write up and example. I wish MicroSoft would provide such clear examples. I visited many other pages before finding this one, it was very helpful for a problem I was trying to solve.

8. Michael Osmond says: